Life Skills Training (LST) is an important part of our overall effort to effectively prepare students for life after NOH. Whatever vocational direction children may choose, there are a number of personal and interpersonal skills that will be essential for leading a successful life. LST will attempt to present topics that promote self-confidence, self-esteem and self-awareness while at the same time helping our children develop the ability to effectively present themselves and their ideas. As the Life Skills Training Curriculum has grown, we have expanded some of these workshops to the local women who attend the Center’s adult education classes.
Prominent Life Skills Training workshops during 2016 include:
- Two workshops about first aid and caring for sick children led by a volunteer and attended by NOH’s young adults and some local women in the adult education classes;
- A presentation on burn prevention and treatment by Dr. Shankar Rai and his team from the Nepal Cleft and Burn Center delivered to NOH’s young adults;
- A series of Professional Career Seminars for our older girls through the program Girl Talk, a group dedicated to empowering girls through online learning opportunities. Several impressive women leaders in the fields of business, social work, and nursing spoke with our class ten girls via video conferencing about their careers and how these young women can achieve success in fields of their choosing.
- A songwriting workshop led by Betsy Rose from the Mindful Songs project. Rose taught the students original songs of empowerment, and then she helped them write and develop their own lyrics.
- A series of workshops on self-awareness, making oral presentations and writing news articles led by Carola Drosdeck, vice president of the NOH Board of Directors, for our Class Ten students.
- A two-hour business workshop led by NOH volunteer Yvonne Elliot who used the example of Procter and Gamble to illustrate key factors in running a successful business.
- A workshop on banking offered by one of our former Chelsea Center teachers who now works as a banker. He explained the various services banks offer and how to open a bank account.
A more complete listing of special events and workshops at the Chelsea Center can be found here.